Thursday

Alzheimer's


My great grandmother died when I was twelve years old and I can remember waking up to a sunny morning with the news that her Alzheimer’s had finally gotten the best of her.  We knew it was coming she had refused to eat and I am sure somewhere in her empty eyes she knew her memory was gone and she was tired.  Even though she didn’t know who I was when I visited her in the nursing home every week with my grandmother and she punched me once out of confusion I grew up with her in my life, she was my great grandmother.  She was little, had grey hair, she had a stern grip, sharp nails, and half the time someone else teeth or no teeth at all. 

I remember visiting her at her nursing home during the holidays, the whole family would go, my dad would dress up like Santa, all the kids would dress up like elves and we would pass out gifts to the residents.  I remember visiting her on several occasions walking in on her naked body looking very fragile; boobs hung to her knees and I can remember my grandmother getting her dressed in a one tone sweat suit she got lost in even though it was a size small.  I remember the twins’ Frank and George that sat at the elevator in their wheelchairs greeting the visitors.  Come to think of it maybe they weren’t the greeting crew but rather trying to escape.   When Great Grandma Louise died holiday traditions changed and weekly visits were forgotten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment